Our Intentions for RE
- RE teaching at Wirksworth Junior School aims to immerse children into key faiths which are: Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Humanists. We also make links with Judaism.
- We want children to be curious about and reflect on other faiths. Be respectful of views and opinions of others, within the diverse communities that we live in.
- Our teaching of RE will allow children to build up understanding and tolerance of people from different faiths and beliefs.
- All children will have access to an hour of RE lessons per week.
- As a school, we use the New Derbyshire Syllabus to form our long term and short-term plans.
- Lessons are planned and progress each week, building on prior skills and knowledge.
- Medium term plans, long term plans and progression maps are used to help teachers feel secure with their subject knowledge.
- Assessments are carried out through self-assessment and teacher assessment at the end of each unit of work. This data helps the teacher to know how confident children are within the subject.
RE Long Term Plan 2022-2024
The photos above show our regular visits to the Open Centre in Derby. These opportunities for pupils help them to learn about mutual respect and the individual liberty of other faiths and beliefs. Our collective worship focuses on the core British Values and our school values. In past months we have visits form the Salvation Army, a Druid and the vicar from our local church St. Marys. The children have the opportunity to ask questions to them about their beliefs to help them form their own thoughts about the world around them.
From September 2020, we will be following the Derby and Derbyshire agreed RE syllabus 2020 to 2025. To see how this links into our Guerrilla Curriculum please follow the link.