Our curriculum has been designed to meet the needs of all the pupils in the school. The intent is to give the pupils an opportunity to create a love of reading and use these books as a focus to develop other subject areas. Pupils are given opportunities to learn about their local area and traditions and have a sense of self, but also learn about how they are different to others and be able to tolerant differences in a respectful way.
We want our curriculum to develop independence and resilience, enabling pupils to feel fit physically and mentally. Bespoke teaching programs are created for individuals who struggle with academics, behaviour or physical/emotional difficulties.
Our core school values of aspiration, perseverance, fairness, respect, togetherness and trust, shape us as citizens to be secondary school ready and to be a positive and active member of the community of Wirksworth.
How we plan to achieve this
- Planning around high quality books.
- Being part of Wirksworth community and planning this into our long term planning.
- Opportunities to meet people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Visits to different places of worship.
- Links to other countries and teachers visiting Tanzania and planning lessons around these visits.
- Mastery Maths approach to ensure all pupils can achieve.
- Promoting mental and physical well being through lunchtime activities, mindfulness, nurture and PSHCE/science and PE curriculum content.
As a school we monitor the impact of our curriculum regularly and change to meet our core value and intent. Our curriculum enables pupils to leave Wirksworth Junior School with results that are inline with national expectations or above, and are ready to move on to the next phase of their learning happy and confident.